The words that make me gawk, then scream, then cry, then roll my eyes and sigh. I’ve heard it and read it so often… Come on People of the World, you just don’t seem to get it!
There’s a reason for the fear of the feminist label. Stereotypes have taught us that The Feminist is EVIL. She’s an ugly, hairy, smelly, man hating, back stabbing, lesbian bitch who eats kittens and puppies for breakfast. She’s sworn of men for life and patrols the globe for anyone with a sense of humor to stomp out their happiness. Right?
What is feminism? The infamous, “I’m not a feminist, but…” is usually followed by statements like:
- Women deserve the same opportunities in life as men
- I believe women should be paid as much as men for the same job
- Women have the right to education
- Women are just as smart as men
- Women deserve affordable reproductive healthcare
- Women around the world deserve the right to vote
- Sexual assault and harrassment are big problems that need to be solved
So, I hate to break it to you, but maybe you just might be a feminist after all.